My COVID19 Story – Ben Eboh, Survivor


It all started on Friday, 29th May, 2020.
I felt ill. I had started running a temperature. But it was late in the night, so I just took paracetamol to control the shivering.
On Saturday, 30th May 2020, my wife got me some malaria medication and antibiotics just in case I may also be suffering a typhoid infection. But my temperature kept rising and went over 39.5⁰c.
By Saturday night, I was feeling a tightness in my chest. I found it difficult to breath. I struggled all night.
Things became worse by Sunday. At this time. I had almost finished my malaria medication and should have been feeling better.
But I was not.
Sunday the 1st of June was the peak. I thought I was going to die. I groaned all night and my wife cried all the while saying she wasn’t ready for me to die.
I was in so much pain. My chest was as if i had a tonne of weight on it and at the same time it was as if I was being drowned in water,
Breathing had become a real challenge, but I had to pop a paracetamol every three hours just to keep me sane. I was coughing profusely. Coughing was the only way I could get oxygen into my lungs.
Monday, 2nd June, I had finished a packet of paracetamol and bought another. I had to take them every three hours on the clock. Otherwise, all the fever would be back.
I called the NCDC that Monday. But they promptly advised me to stay at home if I was feeling these symptoms. Up till now, I have not received any other communication from them.
My younger sister who is a Radiologist came to see me and said its highly likely I had contracted the COVID19 infection. But I said it could not be. I had been quite careful all the while, wearing my face mask if I had to go out, maintaining social distancing and washing my hands or using hand sanitiser. If I been infected then it must have been from going to the supermarket to buy groceries.
Tuesday, 3rd June, I called my older sister who is a Medical Professor and told her what I was going through.
In that call I could sense panic in her voice, but she tried to assure me saying, “Don’t worry about the name of the sickness. You will be fine.” Nevertheless, she prescribed some medicine for me.
I started taking the newly prescribed medication on Tuesday but battled all day.
By Wednesday night I felt some slight relief.
Thursday, the tightness and pain in my chest had eased. Intermittently, I drank hot tea and water, and had a combo syrup of ginger, garlic and lemon, which all helped to provide relief from the tightness in my chest.
By Friday, 5th June, I experienced a little cough,
On Saturday, I still experienced a bit of difficulty with breathing, but the fever had gone; so I stopped taking the paracetamol.
Everyday ever since, it’s been further relief to total recovery.
This is my story. I hope it helps someone avoid death.
*Editor’s note: We welcome more personal stories from COVID19 survivors.
NCDC have not shown the appropriate care and concern that should have really saved a life here. But for providence, it could have gone either way. Nonetheless, we have edited out all prescriptions in the original script to discourage self-medication and undue drug abuse. It is important that if anyone feels any of the symptoms mentioned in the story, they should immediately contact NCDC in the following ways:
Toll Free Number: 0800 9700 0010
Whatsapp: +234708 711 0839
SMS Number: +234809 955 5577